Friday, September 7, 2007

Questions Raised

I am taking a class in Multicultural librarianship this semester. One of the assignments requires me to watch a film which deals with one of the groups we are studying (African Americans, Native Americans, Latino/as, Asian Americans). I was discussing possible movie choices with a friend outside the class. I am thinking of watching Freedom Writers--the story of urban teenagers and their teacher, Erin Gruwell. My friend suggested that the film presents Gruwell in a messianic role--rescuer of the teens in her class who represent the groups mentioned above. He made the assertion that persons of color do not need white people to rescue them.



While I completely agree, Gruwell's story is a true one, and I am sure she would argue it's NOT all about her. Regardless of her race Gruwell helped give her students a voice and an understanding of tolerance by allowing them to write about their own experiences. Which brings me to the question, should multiculturalism be exclusive of people based on their race. specifically if they are white? I realize that in this society other cultures have been marginalized far too long. However, I do not necessarily think that film or a book which includes a white character should be dismissed or have its potential for being multicultural ignored.

1 comment:

greg said...

One could ask where the films are about teachers of color helping their students. The two films I know of that involve an education setting with a person of color helping students overcome both portray the messianic role as a principal, an administrator, not a teacher. My concern is that stories with people of color actually teaching are not produced in near the quantity or quality of the white messiah motif.