Saturday, September 22, 2007

Instant answer?

I am surprised how often my conversations turn to something library related as soon as I mention to someone that I plan to be a librarian. For example, someone asked the other if librarians were hesitant to do IM reference with slow or one-key-at-a-time typists. I remember in my reference class practicing IM reference on the chat fuction of D2L--the online course facilitator my university uses. The person playing the patron would ask a question and the "librarian" would usually ask another to start the reference interview process. The idea of IM is instant answers, and what I remember is being afraid of keeping the patron waiting too long. I would try to type something like "I am searching for an answer...be back in a minute." The other issue as with any IM conversation was keeping track of what was happening if we each sent more than one response.

I suppose, on the other end, it would be a little frustrating to deal with those who hen-peck in a virtual setting. I have found that people who have a difficult time typing usually try to avoid it. I wonder if they would use IM at all. I am not the fastest typist in the world, so I would probably be fairly patient if someone seemed to struggle. I would want to provide the best service possible even if it meant waiting. Although IM reference was not as fun for me as face-to-face transations, I see its value. I think it will be become more prevelent because the adults of tomorrow are so used to being online. Slow typing may become a non-issue. On the other hand, reference transactions will probably need to take place in several formats because we do not want to contribute to the information divide.

1 comment:

jwl said...

We just started chat reference at my work, and it's been interesting to say the least...

In the program that we use, we can create frequently used sentences, so we could make an "I'm searching for that...be right back" button, and not have to type it out each time. It's very handy!

As for the hunt and peck typists...I think you're right...they probably just wouldn't choose the IM option.

-jwl