Friday, September 7, 2007

Battle of the Sexes

It has been a few months since my ALA experience, but since American Libraries was still talking about all things conference related as of last month, I guess I can too. I attended a session called He Reads/She Reads. David Wright and Katie Mediatore presented gender line takes on fiction and non-fiction for men and women. I have say I laughed almost the entire time. It is amazing how stereotypically we think about the opposite sex.

I thought the greatest commentary on gender presented in that session were David Wright's magazine comparisons featuring Eva Longoria. In men's magazines Eva was downright sexy from her pose to her clothing. In the women's magazines she was neatly dressed and almost professional--a successful woman. Not that she can't be both, but if there was ever a case for media stereotyping this would be it.

Mediatore and Wright brought to light the truth behind reading habits and made great recommendation for readers of both sexes. And, while I have never read a true Romance novel, as far as you know, I do read Chick Lit between semesters. I am convinced it is the only way to keep my brain from going numb. Keep writing, Lauren Weisberger!

No comments: