Monday, November 26, 2007

True Knowledge...

The semantic web is amazing. I didn't really understand the concept completely until I watched the video on the True Knowledge website. The last time I heard the term semantics was in a linguistics course I took in college. I like the idea of connections which are more in line with human thought. When we think we draw on previous knowledge, ideas, conversations, concepts and contexts. Not that a search engine can fully echo that process, but True knowledge does build on the knowledge within its database and user added knowledge.

One benefit to True Knowledge is the ability for users to query in many different ways...asking questions or using current search phrases, or choosing from a list of what the computer thinks the user is asking.

Search results are displayed in more readable formats too. The definitions of terms and the answer are prominently displayed for the user so the answer is obvious. I am not sure how well this would work for document searches, but it is excellent for direct queries. The semantic web will make searches even easier for users and with user input, hopefully lessening the information divide.

No comments: