Friday, October 26, 2007

Tales of the Receipt

Riley Harmon, an OU student, is engaging in some personal cataloging. As part of a project for class, Riley is chronicling his life by keeping his receipts and posting them online. He writes short comments that tell the reader something about what he was doing that day or at the time of purchase. An article in this weeks Oklahoma Gazette by Allison Meier tipped me off to Riley's website. This project is a spectacular, off-the-cuff look at personal records. It made me think about what I buy and have bought--would I want to keep my receipts? Would I display them online? Do I want people to know that I tried Sonic's new Whoppers shake for lunch or the reason I stopped by CVS last night? Maybe not, but Riley's website does make for some extreme and often humorous reading. This is a whole new twist on journaling. What I love is the quote from his homepage, "I am a 2o year old with hopes, dreams, and a Visa Check Card." Way to go, Riley. I hope this project is a huge success!!! Here's the link the Riley's site for those of you who want to see this yourselves: http://proofpurchase.com/

1 comment:

DocMartens said...

Have you ever seen the "Found Grocery Lists" project at http://www.grocerylists.org/ ?

Thanks for sharing this!